– Tan Yi De (Yu Lan Shu Shih)
– Tan Chang Wan (Yu Lan Shu Shih)
– Tan Yu Xi (Po Chiak School)
– Previous Chairman: (post war) Tan Wen Que
In 1945, Japanese army surrendered and Singapore regained hope. The war had disrupted many learning opportunities. For that reason, the school enrolment actually spiked up tremendously after the war ended. There were even enrolments from overage students. This phenomenon prompted many warm-hearted education advocates, clans, and business associations to open up more schools to cater to all children. The restart of this private school had attracted many parents nearby to enroll their children here. There were almost 150 enrolments during the peak. With the assistance from the temple, the private school occupied 2 rooms which were then divided into 4 classrooms to accommodate students for 4 classes. It totally eliminated the old syllabus and taught brand new curriculum to the students.
That fateful Autumn, principal Tan Chang Wan (陈长万) passed away. Po Chiak Keng took over and renamed it to Po Chiak School. Tan Yu Xi (陈玉玺) was appointed as the new principal to lead the new school. The temple also allocated funding to repair the school building, expand the facilities, increase teaching tools, and expand school affairs. It also adopted new school curriculum which include additional subjects like Mandarin, Mathematics, History, Geography, Natural, Citizenship Education, English, Arts and Crafts, Music, and Physical Education, following the standard curriculum guideline from Ministry of Education.
Due to space constraint and lack of funding, there was no library in the school. However, teachers actually encouraged students to organize reading area themselves, whereby bookshelf would be provided and students could buy or bring suitable book to share it with the rest. With the full cooperation and effort from the principal, teachers and earnest learners, the progress had been very satisfying.
In 1955, Po Chiak School had accommodated 200 students with 8 classes in total and split into morning and afternoon sessions. It implemented dual-class teaching where 2 different classes were seated in the same classroom and taught by a teacher simultaneously. Despite weariness from the teacher, students behaved well and have good learning emotion that lead to productive learning.
In 1957, the school received subsidy from the government, and was able to expand with more teaching facilities.
Unfortunately, the city redevelopment programme had impacted many residents nearby and they slowly moved out. As such, the student enrolment also declined and the school was inevitably faced the closure in 1962.